The beauty industry is huge. A lot of money is involved and the demand is high. Unfortunately their are a lot of people that want to make money selling counterfeit makeup and they do it well. It can be dangerous to buy makeup that hasn’t passed the FDA guidelines, you don’t know what is in the product and it could possibly contain harmful chemicals that hurt or kill you, such as lead. The money made from counterfeit goods falls into the hands of criminals..perhaps its a local street criminal or perhaps a terrorist or terrorist regime. Whatever the case the counterfeiters are unscrupulous and have no disregard for the well being of anyone but themselves.
– Never buy M.A.C. off of Ebay, I can tell you most of the products are fake. Many products that aren’t real come out of China.. don’t buy from China.
– Don’t pay through paypal if you go on a site like Ebay. If you file a complaint against paypal for counterfeit goods you must prove that they are counterfeit and you only have a certain time period to do this in. I’d say don’t use Paypal at all…look them up on the internet and see how twisted their system is.. Here is an example of a letter from paypal stating they need proof it is a fake item…Estee Lauder(owns M.A.C.) will not help you as they do not endorse their products being sold on sites like ebay. Here is Paypal’s reply:
in order to continue with the investigation of your complaint, we must request documentation to support your claim that the item is not authentic.
Please obtain a document from an unbiased, third-party, such as a dealer, appraiser, or another individual or organization that is qualified in the area of the item in question (other than yourself), which clearly identifies the item as not authentic and patience. We regret any inconvenience this request may cause. cooperationThank you for your
The documents should be faxed to PayPal at ————. Please include a cover sheet with your fax that includes the email address registered on your PayPal account and the ID number of your claim ———–, so we may attach the documents to your claim as quickly as possible.
We must receive your fax within 10 days from the date of this message in order to proceed with the investigation of your claim. If we do not receive your fax within 10 days, your claim will be canceled. We are unable to grant extensions to this time period. Please note that PayPal is unable to reimburse you for any costs or fees that may be incurred in obtaining the requested documents. Any documents you provide may also be supplied to the seller in your dispute if necessary.
Good luck on those 10 days!!!!
– Don’t buy M.A.C. from a site that says they sell M.A.C. other than maccosmetics.com or macpro.com . You can order from a department store such as Macy’s or Nordstrom’s or an Estee Lauder CCO (cosmetics company outlet). M.A.C. doesn’t sell their products to individuals to resell. M.A.C. only allows each customer to buy so many of a certain product. If they are used their M.A.C. Pro discount card, that is against the rules of having a card.
– Don’t compare colors over the internet or from a picture. Camera’s and Monitor’s most likely won’t show the true color and also different batches of the product could be slightly off or reformulated if it is a rerelease.
– Look for TYPOSon the boxes and container. This is a dead giveaway. These people are idiot’s for putting so much effort into copying a product but can’t get the spelling on the box right. One blatant misspelling i’ve seen right on the front of the box was “Prfessional”, other typos are “made in Camda” or punctuation that is incorrect or not consistent. Usually comma’s won’t be properly spaced (especially on the ingredients list) or there will be colons and dashes mixed in when you’d usually only use one or the other and no period’s at the end of sentences while other sentences have them.
– Eyeshadow palette’s that have triangle eyeshadows are fake.
– Eyeshadow that is imprinted with MAC‘s logo are fake.
– Eyeshadow with an unusually sparkly finish, but when you swipe it, the sparkle top layer comes off and you have a chalky, non sparkly shadow underneath. It usually won’t adhere to the skin very well. Fake.
– Eye khols or pencils that are unusually waxy… this makes up for the lack of pigment. Pencils are usually very sloppily made.
-The box might say make-up artists on it or “Magic Eyeshadow”. Fake..what is “Magic Eyeshadow”?
-An easily scratchable from black to white box, but this isn’t always the case, some fakes now have a box that is difficult to scratch.
-Simply made boxes. MAC’s product boxes are unusually complicated when unfolded.
-The box might list an eyeshadow brush inside, but there will only be a foam applicator. FAKE!!
– The spelling of Ounce will be improperly shortened to read Oze instead of oz.
– Shiny and smooth product containers like eyeshadow pots or lipsticks. FAKE
– Real MAC lipsticks and lipglasses should have a distinct vanilla smell to them.
– The fakes might say 12 color eyeshadow on the box, but the product will only list 6 names.. names that are usually made up.
– Compare the ingredients list on the fake box or suspect box with a real box, even if it’s not the same product. MAC is consistent with it’s puncuation and numbering of certain ingredients. You will easily be able to tell how different the fake box is.
– Face Powder that is unusually light. An NC42 is a considerably dark powder/foundation color. If you get a chance to compare fake powders there won’t be much difference between an NC25 and an NC42.
– MAC’s eyeshadows, lipsticks and lipglasses were and are not labeled with numbers instead of names of a number “3” next to the name, fake name presumably.
– Eyeshadows that have actual MAC names, but colors that don’t match the real.
– Smell, real MAC eyeshadow shouldn’t have a fragrance. Fakes might smell like cinnamon or another fragrance.
Counterfeiter‘s are getting good. Alot of the old give-away’s are now out dated. Ways you and companies can prevent counterfeit would be to shrink their market-only buy directly from M.A.C., report sellers of fake cosmetics (either to ebay or their internet service provider).
Use of holograms
Color Shifting Ink
Implement industry standards
Educate customs and law enforcement on counterfeit goods
Educate the public on potential hazards (health, etc.) of purchasing counterfeit goods
Strictly regulate imports from countries known to have a large counterfeit market.
The only sure way to garunty that you will get a genuine product is to order from www.maccosmetics.com, www.macpro.com, order directly from a department store, or go into a mac store or visit a m.a.c. counter inside a department store. Your next best bet would be to get a cp(custom purchase). This is when you send someone the money and they buy and send the product back to you. You can find people that will do this on sites like www.makeupalley.com and the person you are sending the money to must have pristine feedback, there are groups in livejournal that people buy out of too.
I hesitate to to tell all the tricks that I know of regarding counterfeit MAC because these scammers are paying attention to these kinds of posts and blogs and learning. If you have any products you aren’t sure about, email me personally and i’ll try to help.